This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase something, I will receive a commission with no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer.
Is there a person who has never ever had a lazy day? I doubt that! Even highly effective successful people need to rest and restore their energy once in a while to be able to keep going. Enjoy my collection of motivational and funny quotes on laziness and don’t always take yourself too seriously!
Whether it’s a relaxing Sunday and you are looking for a funny quote to post on Instagram, or it’s a busy day when you don’t feel like working and need some inspiration, I got your back! Below you’ll find no less than 111 quotes on laziness and procrastination that you can use for your needs.
I had a lot of fun while choosing these and even saved a couple to my personal list of favorite quotes! Some of these sayings are funny enough to make you laugh, while others might put a fire under you so you’ll run away from this page to start working without reading it till the end. That’s ok!
Reading quotes on laziness is a great motivational tool but not the only one you can use in moments of weakness! If you happen to need some advice for being productive even in a lazy mood, here are my practical tips that should help.
With that said, let’s start with the very best quotes about laziness I was able to find!
Best laziness quotes of all times
This is a mix of funny and motivational sayings on the subject of laziness that I found the most amusing! Some of them even suggest that laziness helps progress, while others give you a different perspective on being a productive person.
1. Being a couch potato is dangerous, someone may get hungry and eat you!
2. The less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in. – Lord Chesterfield
3. You are only as lazy or lacking in willpower as you think you are. – Ken Christian
4. All of the biggest technological inventions created by man – the airplane, the automobile, the computer – say little about his intelligence, but speak volumes about his laziness. – Mark Kennedy
5. I’ve heard that hard work never killed anyone, but I say why take the chance? – Ronald Reagan
6. You don’t get lucky while sitting on the sofa with your arms crossed doing nothing. You can be lucky only when you are prepared. – Nesta Jojoe Erskine
7. The taste of your life depends on the spices you used to brew it. Add laziness to it and it becomes bitter as the bile; put a cube of good attitudes into it and you will lick your lips more and more due to its sweet taste. – Israelmore Ayivor
8. The lazy always have in mind to do something. – Vauvenargues
9. We may place blame, give reasons, and even have excuses; but in the end, it is an act of cowardice to not follow your dreams. – Steve Maraboli
11. I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it. – Bill Gates
12. The pillow is that devil thing to give us dreams at night so we don’t have to follow our real ones in the day. The blanket is that ghost who gives us a glimpse of what it’s like to be dead — peaceful, but too early. So run away. Turn left. Shiver in the arctic. Burn in the Sahara. Sweat in a subway. Anything, but the sheets. – Karl Kristian Flores
Quotes on laziness and hard work
Some people think that hard work is necessary for achieving success, while others praise work efficiency and setting smart goals more than the hustling itself.
While there are some specific techniques that can improve your personal productivity, I still think hard work is essential for getting more-than-average results. According to research, an average office worker is only productive for two hours a day, which I’m sure is far from the daily performance of famous millionaires!
13. Inspiration is a guest that does not willingly visit the lazy. – Tchaikovsky
14. Hard work isn’t enough. And more work is never the real answer. The sort of grit you need to scale a business is less reliant on brute force. It’s actually one part determination, one part ingenuity, and one part laziness. – Reid Hoffman
15. I’m not running away from hard work, I’m too lazy to run.
16. Sloth makes all things difficult, but industry all easy; and he that riseth late must trot all day, and shall scarce overtake his business at night; while laziness travels so slowly, that poverty soon overtakes him. – Benjamin Franklin
17. Laziness is my biggest pet peeve of all time. Get up, make a plan, do the work, and love yourself, people. – Dove Cameron
18. When you are willing to replace mundane excuses with hard work and your laziness with determination, nothing can prevent you from succeeding. – Dr. Prem Jagyasi
19. People who have time on their hands will inevitably waste the time of people who have work to do. – Thomas Sowell
20. Work is the law of the modern world, which has no place for lazy people. – Mihai Eminescu
22. If you trust in yourself…. and believe in your dreams…. and follow your star… you’ll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren’t so lazy. – Terry Pratchett
23. Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard. – Kevin Durant
Short funny sayings on laziness
These are just funny short quotes that are so relatable to everyone who is experiencing a lazy mood. Share your favorite one with your friends or colleagues to put a smile on both of your faces!
24. Who says nothing is impossible? I’ve been doing nothing for years.
25. I love my six-pack so much, I protect it with a layer of fat.
27. If I won the award for laziness, I would send somebody to pick it up for me.
28. I don’t work on weekends or any other day that ends with “Y”.
29. My goal this weekend is to move… just enough so people don’t think I’m dead.
31. I’ve made it from the bed to the couch. There’s no stopping me now.
32. I’m not lazy, I’m on power saving mode.
33. Yesterday I did nothing and today I’m finishing what I did yesterday.
Inspirational quotes to read on a lazy day
Want a dose of wisdom from famous achievers? Here it is! I bet one of these will make you reconsider spending all day in bed, even though the blanket is so warm and cozy!
Sometimes reading some motivational words from a person you admire might feel like they are judging you, doesn’t it? Imagine that someone you highly respect comes into the room right this moment and sees you like that! Would you be proud or ashamed about your today’s performance?..
34. Stop sleeping, Get to work! You will have much time to sleep when you die. – Michael Bassey Johnson
35. Laziness grows on people; it begins in cobwebs and ends in iron chains. The more one has to do, the more he is able to accomplish. – Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton
36. The most basic human impulse is toward entropy and laziness. The less we have to do to grow spiritually, the more likely we are to do it. – Alexandra Fuller
38. To the lazy man the world appears bereft of all blessings; if poor, he has no friends; if rich, he has no ambition, he aims at nothing, and generally hits his mark. – James Ellis
39. One can be deceived by three types of laziness: the laziness of indolence, which is the wish to procrastinate; the laziness of inferiority, which is doubting your capabilities; and the laziness that is attached to negative actions, or putting great effort into non-virtue. – Dalai Lama XIV
40. A life of leisure and a life of laziness are two things. There will be sleeping enough in the grave. – Benjamin Franklin
41. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
42. I can’t relate to lazy people. We don’t speak the same language. I don’t understand you. I don’t want to understand you. – Kobe Bryant
43. The reason laziness is rarely pushed as a lifestyle option is down to one simple reason: money. There are fortunes to be made out of active lifestyles. Gyms charge fees. But no one is going to make money out of sleep. It is free. – Tom Hodgkinson
45. For example, I was discussing the use of email and how impersonal it can be, how people will now email someone across the room rather than go and talk to them. But I don’t think this is laziness, I think it is a conscious decision people are making to save time. – Margaret J. Wheatley
Quotes about laziness and success
Have you ever seen a lazy person become successful? Probably not. While laziness may actually help to improve the world by discovering more and more creative solutions for doing less, you can’t personally grow if you are always procrastinating. Even a small effort every day takes you closer to achieving your goals! So maybe go and do today’s bit right now?
46. Your mind wants to succeed, but your life does not want; how will you succeed? Success is not an easy thing! Success is allergic to laziness! However, it is amenable to intelligence and diligence. – Enock Maregesi
47. You make name for yourself when you overcome pain, weakness, laziness, and ignorance. – Sunday Adelaja
48. Work hard and become a leader; be lazy and never succeed.
49. The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work. work is the key to success, and hard work can help you accomplish anything. – Vince Lombardi
51. If you try and lose then it isn’t your fault. But if you don’t try and we lose, then it’s all your fault. – Orson Scott Card
52. Someone may have all the technical knowledge, scientific intellect, and business know-how but when he/she decides to choose laziness, excuses, procrastination, complaining, and other bad attitudes, his/her relevance is meaningless. – Israelmore Ayivor
53. Fight your fear, your laziness, and your ignorance before you worry about fighting the competition. – Amit Kalantri
54. Of all the cankers of human happiness, none corrodes it with so silent, yet so baneful, a tooth, as indolence. – Thomas Jefferson
55. Often, psychological laziness will have you switch your life over to autopilot and fall asleep at the wheel rather than stay awake to what will fulfill your heart’s deepest desires and your soul’s purpose. – Debbie Ford
56. Success is the sum of small efforts – repeated day in and day out. – Robert Collier
Fun quotes about lazy people
Here is another funny and inspiring bunch of laziness quotes, this time about lazy people and their perception of the world. It’s surprising how many different opinions people have about laziness other than just saying “it’s bad, don’t do it!”. I guess it says a lot about the number of people who are dealing with laziness in their lives and constantly learning to overcome it.
57. It was such a lovely day I thought it a pity to get up. – Somerset Maugham
58. One monster there is in the world, the idle man. – Thomas Carlyle
59. I need my natural laziness to be counteracted by obsession in order to do anything. – Vikram Seth
60. If there’s an easier, more efficient way to do something, trust a lazy person to find it. – Marty Rubin
61. The only time a lazy man ever succeeds is when he tries to do nothing. – Evan Esar
62. Laziness isn’t merely a physical phenomenon, about being a couch potato, stuffing your face with fries, and watching cricket all day. It’s a mental thing, too, and that’s the part I have never aspired for. – Shah Rukh Khan
64. Tomorrow is the only day in the year that appeals to a lazy man. – Jimmy Lyons
65. There are people, who the more you do for them, the less they will do for themselves. – Jane Austen
66. My laziness is really profound. I’m really interested in where it comes from – it almost feels chemical. And we’ve all got ADD now, short attention span and all that. – Hugh Grant
67. Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away. – Paul Terry
68. I’m lazy. But it’s the lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn’t like walking or carrying things. – Lech Walesa
Motivational quotes on laziness
While beating laziness is a matter of practice and can be done successfully most of the time, some funny motivational quotes here and there can make it even easier for you! Read these amazing thoughts by real people who achieved something in their lives and see how they perceive idleness!
69. Don’t stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed. – George Burns
70. If you wait for the mango fruits to fall, you’d be wasting your time while others are learning how to climb the tree. – Michael Bassey Johnson
71. Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every moment of it. No idleness, no laziness, no procrastination: never put off till tomorrow what you can do today. – Philip Stanhope
72. Your complaints, your drama, your victim mentality, your whining, your blaming, and all of your excuses have NEVER gotten you even a single step closer to your goals or dreams. Let go of your nonsense. Let go of the delusion that you DESERVE better and go EARN it! Today is a new day! – Steve Maraboli
73. Those who sleep don’t catch any fish. – Italian proverb
74. Motivation is the art of getting people to do what you want them to do because they want to do it. – Dwight D. Eisenhower
76. Everyone kept telling me not to worry someone will do something. No one did so I became someone and did something. – Mark A. Cooper
77. Total physical and mental inertia are highly agreeable, much more so than we allow ourselves to imagine. A beach not only permits such inertia but enforces it, thus neatly eliminating all problems of guilt. – John Kenneth Galbraith
78. A single day spent doing things which fail to nourish the soul is a day stolen, mutilated, and discarded in the gutter of destiny. – Michel Faber
79. There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen. – Jim Lovell
Lazy Sunday quotes to let yourself relax
Okay, okay, we aren’t robots and we are allowed to have a rest day here and there. If it’s always work, life wouldn’t be any fun, right?
People who hustle know all about the lazy days and smartly incorporate them into their monthly routines. Sometimes when you push yourself too much for a prolonged period of time, your body starts giving you signals to slow down. Whoever doesn’t listen to it, often gets hit hard with stress-caused illnesses and burnout, which then require much more time to recover than it would have taken to rest regularly.
Don’t be that person and allow yourself to have a fun lazy day once in a while, alright? And here are more fun quotes to read on such a day!
80. Laziness works. And the simple way to incorporate its health benefits into your life is simply to take a nap. – Tom Hodgkinson
81. Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things. – Robert A. Heinlein
82. I don’t think necessity is the mother of invention. Invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness – to save oneself trouble. – Agatha Christie
83. Now I’m a pretty lazy person and am prepared to work quite hard in order to avoid work. – Martin Fowler
84. Lazy people fact #2347827309018287. You were too lazy to read that number.
86. You could say I was too lazy to calculate, so I invented the computer. – Konrad Zuse
87. I’m a multitasking procrastinator. I can put off multiple things at once.
88. Bed and laziness are good friends, they often like to hang out late at noon. – Alain Bremond-Torrent
89. I often make films about subjects I don’t really know much about. Maybe it’s laziness, but I don’t go in there having done a tonne of research; the research happens while I’m making the film. – Asif Kapadia
90. You gotta know when to be lazy. Done correctly, it’s an art form that benefits everyone. – Nicholas Sparks
Quotes about laziness and excuses
When there is no one around to control you, you have to be your own boss. For many of us working as a freelancer or building a business alone is especially difficult because of this lack of credibility. You may be super responsible when someone else relies on you, but you can so easily break promises you give yourself.
Next time you come up with an excuse and talk yourself out of doing something productive, imagine that you have to report to another person with this. Would they understand your reason or see it as a ridiculous excuse of a lazy person? If the latter is more likely, why would you accept it then? Get up and get to work!
91. Replace excuses with an effort to replace laziness with determination and everything else will fall into place.
92. The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it. – Jordan Belfort
93. The lazier a man is, the more he plans to do tomorrow. – Norwegian Proverb
94. Never make excuses. Your friends don’t need them and your foes won’t believe them. – John Wooden
95. Maturity is when you stop complaining and making excuses in your life; you realize everything that happens in life is a result of the previous choice you’ve made and start making new choices to change your life. – Roy T. Bennett
97. It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one. – George Washington
98. Technology never makes someone lazy. It sometimes reveals someone’s laziness. – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
99. We face fear many times a day, in many ways, and usually we turn away from it. It often hides itself behind laziness and complacency, which are its shadows and aliases. We accept the things-as-they-are world in which we are comfortable. – Rick Tumlinson
100. He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. – Benjamin Franklin
101. The trouble with excuses, however, is that they become inevitably difficult to believe after they’ve been used a couple of times. – Scott Spencer
Best quotes to get yourself together on a lazy morning
If your sheets are especially comfy today and your pillow wouldn’t let you go, read this last collection of funny motivational quotes about laziness and see if you agree with these people. Hopefully, some of them will help you break a bed addiction this time!
This first one by Picasso is one of my all-time favorite quotes: it hangs on my inspiration board and reminds me why I should start working even when I don’t feel like it.
102. Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. – Pablo Picasso
103. If we don’t start today, it will be too late for tomorrow. – Anthony T.Hincks
105. No one who is slack gains a good reputation; it is hard work that leads to excellence. – Euripides
106. The generality of mankind is lazy. What distinguishes men of genuine achievement from the rest of us is not so much their intellectual powers and aptitudes as their curiosity, their energy, their fullest use of their potentialities. Nobody really knows how smart or talented he is until he finds the incentives to use himself to the fullest. – Sydney J. Harris
107. All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today. – Pope Paul VI
108. Laziness is a secret ingredient that goes into failure. But it’s only kept a secret from the person who fails. – Robert Half
109. It always seems impossible until it’s done. – Nelson Mandela
110. We often miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work. – Thomas A. Edison
111. There is a great volcano sleeping in every laziness! – Mehmet Murat ildan
Final thoughts on laziness quotes
Here you have 111 quotes about laziness and procrastination!
Hopefully, you got inspired to go do some work now. But if not, that’s ok too! Let yourself rest if you feel like you need it, just make sure you don’t idly exist more than you actually live!